1. What did you do in 2014 that you'd never done before?
Went indoor sky-diving.
Worked out in a gym. (Inlcuding jogging for 20 minutes straight on C25k)
Participated in a protest (March Against Monsanto).
Started playing Dungeons & Dragons.
Ate vegan for six weeks
2. Did you keep your new years' resolutions, and will you make more for next year?
I didn't really make a resolution, so much as just deciding to lose weight in earnest. I did well on that. Lost about 30 lbs, still going with it. I've got some goals for next year, but I'm trying not to deal in absolutes. I know that sounds trite, but it's helping me to think that way.
3. Did anyone close to you give birth?
My friend Kathy had a baby, but I don't think I'd say we're close.
4. Did anyone close to you die?
My uncle George died. We weren't close, but I have fond memories of him from when I was young. He'd been kind of on a decline for the last 20 years or so. I was much more sad about Robin Williams dying although I don't really think that counts as being close.
5. What countries did you visit?
Does Little Havana count? If not, then none.
6. What would you like to have in 2015 that you lacked in 2014?
Peace of mind about finances. Either because we get more money, manage the money we have better or I just don't worry about it as much.
7. What dates from 2014 will remain etched upon your memory?
I can't think of any specific dates that stand out, but I'm notoriously bad with dates.
8. What was your biggest achievement of the year?
Definitely losing weight.
9. What was your biggest failure?
Not appreciating the things I have
10. Did you suffer illness or injury?
I've been battling depression the 2nd half of 2014. Kind of seriously.
11. What was the best thing you bought?
Probably my trip to do indoor skydiving at iFly Orlando. Or perhaps a Jeni's Ice Cream sandwich. Life changer. https://jenis.com/flavors/ice-cream-sandwiches/salty-caramel-with-smoked-almonds/
12. Whose behavior merited celebration?
My son, Isaac. He has matured and improved so much. I'm so proud of him. He's really learning how to deal with anxiety and his own issues while being a really responsible person. He manages his own diet, not eating the things he shouldn't (corn, too much sugar, etc) probably better than Tina or I. We like to joke that he is the most responsible person in the house.
Also really digging what the new Pope has been doing this year.
13. Whose behavior made you appalled and depressed?
Floridian voters. I don't normally get involved in politics, but the mid-term elections in FL seemed important and we totally screwed the pooch.
Also the NY grand jury that didn't indict the officer that choked Eric Garner to death. I normally try to see things from both sides, but I haven't been able to find anything logical on the other side of this argument. It's on video and the guy is dead...
14. Where did most of your money go?
Probably food of various sorts. We spend something like $20k+ at BJs per year in addition to eating out various places all the time.
16. What song will always remind you of 2014?
In My Mind by Amanda Palmer. I made some progress on improving myself this year and also made some progress in accepting myself as I am.
17. Compared to this time last year, you are:
Thinner or fatter: Thinner.
Richer or poorer: Feels like about the same, though I do have some major expenses looming over my head that are coming up. Looks like we might have to replace our septic tank. :\
18. What do you wish you'd done more of?
Appreciating what I have
19. What do you wish you'd done less of?
Worrying and being depressed
20. How will you be spending Christmas?
At home with my family, pigging out.
21. What was your favorite month of 2014?
Honestly nothing sticks out. 2014 was overall a good year for me, but I don't know if there was a specific good month.
22. Did you fall in love in 2014?
23. How many one-night stands?
24. What was your favorite TV program?
Probably Silicon Valley or The Blacklist.
25. Do you hate anyone now that you didn't hate this time last year?
No, I don't think so.
26. What was the best book you read?
Really enjoyed Mentats of Dune, the latest in the Dune series. Also really enjoyed The Art of Asking by Amanda Palmer.
27. What was your greatest musical discovery?
Appreciating Amanda Palmer or possibly Lil Dicky
28. What did you want and get?
A new phone. iPhone 6.
29. What did you want and not get?
30. What was your favorite film of this year?
Guardians of the Galaxy, Grand Budapest Hotel or Trancendece (I know that's not from 2014, but that's when I watched it)
31. What did you do on your birthday, and how old were you?
I went on a road trip to Orlando and did indoor sky-diving with Jake. Turned 33, which feels significantly older.
32. What one thing would have made your year immeasurably more satisfying?
Having enough money that I didn't worry about it. Not 100% positive such an amount exists, but seems like it's plausible.
33. How would you describe your personal fashion concept in 2014?
Slightly more refined
34. What kept you sane?
My wife Tina
35. Which celebrity/public figure did you fancy the most?
I'm not really into fancy-ing celebrities to be quite honest... If I have to pick one, I guess maybe Scarlett Johannson. Between Captain America 2, Lucy and Her I guess I had some interest...
36. What political issue stirred you the most?
Medical marijuana legalization in FL. I've never tried pot, but more and more it seems like something that's really good for people. Or at least better than the current alternatives.
37. Who did you miss?
38. Who were the best new people you met?
I didn't meet very many new people in 2014.
39. Tell us a valuable life lesson you learned in 2014:
Improving is better than not trying for fear of failing. Perfect is the enemy of good. I think I can do the things I want to do without allowing the to consume my life.
40. Quote a song lyric that sums up your year:
'Cause sometimes you just feel tired,
Feel weak, and when you feel weak, you feel like you wanna just give up.
But you gotta search within you, you gotta find that inner strength
And just pull that shit out of you and get that motivation to not give up
And not be a quitter, no matter how bad you wanna just fall flat on your face and collapse.
-Eminem, Till I Collapse